19 April 2013

In the Father’s hand – 19 April 2013


[ For a while, I would like, each week, to pay some attention to the lectionary gospel reading for the next Sunday.  And so... ]

At that time the festival of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered, “I have told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name testify to me; but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.”  [John 10: 22-30]

It is important, with John’s Gospel, to remember that these words come to us through the experiences of second or even third-generation Christians.  The church had grown and spread, by then through numerous cultures.  And already the whole spectrum of human sinfulness and wilfulness had begun to show up in the church.  It now had its own internal politics and strife.  It was under persecution from Jews and Romans and others.  There were numerous parties and opinions and much confusion at times, schisms and divisions and people falling away.  We can see all this in the Letters of St Paul.  And it is from somewhere out of all that, that we have this report of an encounter with Jesus in the temple.

It is the Feast of the Dedication – that is, Hannukah, the joyous celebration of the rededication of the temple by Judas Maccabeus in the 2nd century BC after it had been desecrated by Antiochus Epiphanes.  But then, says John, it was winter – why would he add that?  The young church was now experiencing its winter.

Jesus says that the bond of his people to him, and of him to them, is one of mutual recognition.  My sheep hear my voice.  I know them.  They follow me...  It is not a matter of whose doctrine you accept, whose denomination you belong to, how you conduct worship.  It is at another level altogether.  We know his voice.  We come to know what is Christ and what is something else.  He says, I know them... 

Mutual recognition, mutual love, mutual abiding, to use another of the 4th Gospel’s favourite words.  It is heart speaking to heart.  It is not accessible to rational defence or argument.  In times of strife and all kinds of distress, we know whose voice is his.  It is the same as Jesus’s own relationship with his Father.  We have, in our prayer, come to stillness and silence, and quietened other voices – and we are then in the space Jesus occupies in his prayer.

Then he says, they will never perish, no one will snatch them out of my hand...  Whatever the confusion, whatever the persecution, this inner mutual recognition remains.  It is what Jesus teaches later in the Gospel, Abide in me, and I in you... 

No comments:

Post a Comment