17 October 2014

Give to God what is God’s – 17 October 2014


In the Gospel lesson for next Sunday (Matthew 22:15-22) Jesus answers some local Pharisees, who were religious leaders, and Herodians, who seem to have been part of the court of the Roman puppet ruler, Herod Antipas.  They were trying to catch Jesus in sedition.  If he even hinted that the Jews should not be paying the Roman tax he was in big trouble.  As we know, Jesus asked for one of the coins in which the tax had to be paid, held it up to show Caesar’s image on it – and decreed, Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.

…and I remember thinking, as a teenager in church:  Everybody thinks that’s neat and clever, but I still don’t get it.  Presumably we pay our tax – that is what belongs to Caesar – but what belongs to God?  Preachers and commentators seemed to think that was obvious.  It wasn’t obvious to me.  What is God’s? what do I owe God?  Do I owe God my gratitude for good food, for warmth and shelter, for security, for life, health and my next breath, for the love of family and friends, for a peaceful land and all the moods of Kawau Bay…?  No doubt I do – but there are plenty who do not have these things, living in squalor, or danger, or cold.  What do they owe to God? 

And indeed Jesus said this in an occupied country, repressed by a brutal military, to people replete in daily life with misery and terror, starvation and disease.  Perhaps he meant something a bit different… or on the other hand, as old as the Prophet Micah:  What does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love mercy, to walk humbly…  That is what is God’s, it seems to me, that we do justice, love mercy, walk humbly. 

What does it mean in the attitudes of my heart that I do justice, in my judgements, for instance…?  What has to change in order that I love mercy…?  What might I have to relinquish before I walk humbly…? 

But this is not some rigorous reform of self, amendment of life, which has to take place before we are as we ought to be in God’s sight.  It is what starts to happen in our hearts as we are still and silent, when we set aside the study group chatter, shut the books for a while, give ourselves a rest from worthy activism, and recover the space of waiting and consenting. 

Christian Meditation is the simplest of all disciplines, the spiritual practice which asks us first to cease, for the time of meditation, every attempt to change ourselves and our world, let alone our church.  It asks us to be still, making space for God to do in us and around us what God is always seeking to do, but blocked and hampered by all our best intentions, plans and motives.  What we owe to God is what the Bible calls μετανοια, change, conversion, returning to where we truly belong, consenting to love and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment