04 September 2015

Psalms of struggle – 4 September 2015


Lord, why do you reject me?  Why do you hide your face?

I have borne your trials; I am numb.

Your fury has swept down upon me, your terrors have utterly destroyed me.

Friend and neighbour you have taken away;

my one companion is darkness. [Ps 88]

In these Psalms of struggle we have a somewhat candid dialogue with God – a little too candid for some – neither is it really a dialogue, since a major part of the problem is that God doesn’t have much to say.  The circumstances of life have brought the Psalmist to argue with God about how things are panning out, and even to warn God that God’s reputation may be at stake here:

Will your love be told in the grave, or your faithfulness among the dead?

Will your wonders be known in the dark, or your justice in the land of oblivion?

God had better wake up.  And yet there is something deeper here.  This Psalmist, for all her suffering and pain, and behind all her anger, does not doubt what she calls your faithfulness… your wonders… your justice…  This is the paradox of mature faith.   It is still God with whom we have to deal, in the abyss.  God has not caused the pain.  It is not a punishment from on high, deserved or undeserved.  God has neither made it happen nor prevented it.  It has happened by some virus, or some extreme event, by warfare and human rage, by stupidity or carelessness, by accident…  But the caricature God who is thought to reach down and hurl thunderbolts against people, is an idol, in no way the God Jesus called Father.  The Psalmist too is very doubtful. 

Still, I suppose, the Psalmist feels entitled to ask why God did not at any rate prevent these calamities.  That’s an almost universal reaction.  Why does God not stop bad things happening?  The Psalmist doesn’t know, and I don’t know… except to say that it would be an unrecognisable world in which nothing bad ever happened, unless of course you richly deserved it.  And then, what would be the good of that? 

There is another point here, and it is an important part of the teaching around contemplative life and prayer.  C S Lewis is one of many who have found it – in his bereavement and sorrow he wrote, Surprised by Joy.  Great teachers such as St John of the Cross, Thomas Merton, and many others, discovered in their own crises that pain and loss do not have the final word without our consent.  Once we have come to know and make peace with our own vulnerability and mortality, we are beginning to learn to live beyond fear.  Darkness is still dark, but not hostile, never hopeless.  There is what George Matheson called joy that seekest me through pain.

How long, O Lord, will you forget me?  How long will you hide your face?

How long must I bear grief in my soul, this sorrow in my heart day and night?

Look at me, answer me, Lord my God!  Give light to my eyes lest I fall asleep in death,

Lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed”; lest my foes rejoice to see my fall.

As for me, I trust in your merciful love.  Let my heart rejoice in your saving help.

Let me sing to you Lord for your goodness to me,

Sing psalms to your name, O Lord, Most High. [Ps 13]

No comments:

Post a Comment