27 May 2016

Losing and finding…4 – 27 May 2016


If anyone wishes to follow me, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever would save their life will lose it; and whoever loses their life for my sake will save it.  [Mark 8:34-35; Matthew 16:24-25; Luke 9:23-24; John 12:25]

Now we come to the crux of it, I think.  What we have from Jesus is another way of living – “Losing” my life, as the gospel writer expresses it, rather than “saving” my life…   I want to say, after a week of pondering this, and at the risk of everyone falling about laughing, that what Jesus does for his followers is readjust our relationship with the possessive personal pronoun.  My life… my lifestyle… my possessions… my feelings… my rights… my opinions… my faith… my church… my dreams… my goals… my safety… my… oh my.  Obviously we use the possessive pronouns in all sorts of ways, some of which are perfectly fine.  But in Jesus’s company we start to see that my needs and preferences are not the point.   As Paul says to the Church at Corinth:  What do you have that you did not receive?  And if you received it, why do you boast as if it were not a gift? [I Cor 4:7].  By saving my life, as Jesus uses the word, we mean possessiveness and ownership, as though we have forgotten is that all is gift, not only our possessions, but our very breath, our neurones, our next heartbeat, our ability to love, and the sparkle on the water of Kawau Bay.  By “saving” my life he means me first, my safety and security, defending what I believe is mine.  So it goes with my inability to let go… not only of possessions, but also of opinions and beliefs, of attitudes, of poisonous memories.  Saving is clinging.

Losing my life is the discovery, in Jesus’s company, that I don’t need to take myself all that seriously.  It is a developing inner freedom.  It is a growing willingness to relinquish control, to loosen my grip on people and events.  I find one day I can more easily be happy for people to be themselves, for better or for worse.  My life and my wishes and preferences may be interesting, but never for me definitive or determinative, or even all that important, any more.  

We learn now to live with mystery and unanswered questions.  A man in a Christian study group recently announced, evidently without blinking, I have no problems with the Holy Trinity.  Perhaps there is no mystery in his life at all.  Perhaps he is, as the politicians like to say, substantially satisfied with the main issues.  In the Beatitudes, Jesus blesses the meek, he blesses those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, as though they haven’t found it yet, he blesses the merciful, the pure in heart, and the peacemakers.  It brings us to the borders of contemplative life and prayer, where what we do is follow Jesus, not knowing where the road ends, but knowing that he follows us, day by day. 

The contemplative people I know tend to be normally busy and involved people.  Some are very busy indeed, on all manner of worthy things.  Others who are not able to do much, keep a daily interest in what is happening to others around the world.  What we all have in common is the fellowship of silence and stillness, the place of empty hands and minds quietly paying attention, where Jesus is present.  Our facades are being dismantled and all our chatter is ceasing.  We have nothing to prove and nothing to achieve.  St Paul says: You have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ who is your life is revealed, then you also will be revealed with him in glory [Colossians 3:3-4]. 

No comments:

Post a Comment