29 July 2016

Playing the fool – 29 July 2016


The land of a rich man produced abundantly.  And he thought to himself, ‘What should I do, for I have no place to store my crops?’  Then he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build larger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.  And I will say to my soul, ‘Soul, you have ample goods laid up for many years; relax, eat, drink, be merry.’  But God said to him, ‘You fool!  This very night your life is being demanded of you.  And the things you have prepared, whose will they be?’  So it is with those who store up treasures for themselves but are not rich toward God.”  [Luke 12:16-21]

Jesus told this parable in a culture different from our own.  They were farmers and fishermen, and they and their wives and families were well acquainted with long and hard manual work, often for little reward.  If any man was rich, he had almost certainly inherited land and resources, and so it is that Luke sets this parable in the context of a dispute about inheritance – Teacher, tell my brother to divide the inheritance with me…  Jesus refuses to get involved in that, and he delivers the man a warning about greed.  That has always sounded to me like a put-down.  But then, I wasn’t there…

Then Jesus tells the parable.  It is about a rich man, and we assume that most of his hearers were not rich.  So… we are not that audience.  We are property owners, more or less secure, with investments… How do we hear this parable?  We are, like most people, perfectly capable of being greedy, but greed is what we generally try to avoid.  Some of us try harder about that than others.  We do have possessions and property, and we enjoy what we have.  We believe, in the main, we use it well.  We are generally hospitable.  We never cease to be grateful that somehow we found ourselves living in this lovely place, in relative peace and security.   We give thanks to God for our food, and the measure of life, home and shelter, that we enjoy. 

Now, it is possible that all that simply describes a comfortable, complacent culture – while we know very well that we now have, not far away, people unable to acquire a home, or get a job; we do now have people sleeping on the street, and families in cars and garages.  None of this is simple.  But Jesus made it quite plain that in his kingdom the homeless are housed, the naked are clothed, the hungry are fed, and the prisoners are visited. 

In this parable, plainly, he is speaking to the rich, at any rate the comfortable and content – he is speaking to the man whose reaction to prosperity was to build bigger barns to store his goods, and to relax, eat, drink and be merry.  That seems to me a reasonably accurate description of much of our contemporary kiwi culture.  The problem is not with the possessions.  The more we own, the more we are required to be good stewards of it. 

The problem is where we are looking for happiness.  What do we think life is for?  And the contemplative question is… the more I am relying on possessions and control, and measuring it all by the levels of power and pleasure, the more I am simply feeding the ego.  And then it’s all about me.  My requirements are usurping the place that belongs to God. 

Jesus says, You fool…!  The extent of your ownership and control of all this is actually the width of the wall of a blood vessel on the brain (I am helping Jesus along here perhaps, with a little bit of imagery…).  Loving God, loving my neighbour, loving life, understanding and accepting our fragility and mortality… all of this is the opposite of being a fool.  It comes with stillness and consent, as God’s spirit rearranges our priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment