26 August 2016

Mutual non-understanding – 26 August 2016


A biography I have just read, called Remember Me, is about a Polish Jew, Martin Small – he had actually an unpronounceable Polish name.  Martin Small first writes about his early life, with the most moving and evocative description of Jewish village life in Poland I have ever read… Fiddler On The Roof becomes entirely credible… the customs, the superstitions, the incomparable humour, the rituals and celebrations.  But as a young man Martin Small was caught up in the Nazi invasion of Poland and Russia, which swept away all that priceless culture.  All of his family were wiped out, cruelly and remorselessly.  Martin then fought with the partisans, but eventually wound up in the hell of Mauthausen, in Austria.  On the day Mauthausen was liberated by the Americans, Martin Small was scarcely alive.  He was actually unconscious.  A soldier carried him to the medics – and Martin spent the rest of his long life in love and gratitude.  He fought in Israel’s 1948 war of independence against Egypt and the other Arab states…

Now in his 90s, looking back on all this as an elderly practising Jew he writes, My theology is simple. I don’t understand God, and God doesn’t understand me.  It is so Jewish, so Yiddish… This man who has seen everything, suffered unspeakably, lived a long lifetime, raised a family, loyally attends the synagogue, teaches there, says Kaddish for all who died… this man says, I don’t understand God, and God doesn’t understand me.  And yet in another breath he would recite from memory in Hebrew:

(…read Psalm 139: 1-18…)

Experience, he says, has taught him that God is known and loved best with a decent reticence and humility, and a certain black humour.  The Psalmist was not in Mauthausen – God was.  I have just spent a week in Samoa, where by contrast they understand God very well and quite loudly.  Churches are everywhere and are large and multi-coloured.  The biggest and flashest house in the village is probably the pastor’s.  Every public bus informs you in gaudy lettering that Samoa is founded and ruled by God.  Well, plenty of nations have lived by that assumption, with very mixed results…  On Sundays the food is terrible because the kitchen staff are all at church.  It is a confident, safe, simplistic and superstitious religion, being practised by big, loud, good people. 

It was a new thought for me, however, that I may be as much a mystery to God, as God is to me.  That seems quite exciting in some ways.  God is puzzled, just as I am.  If it is so, it means that only an ongoing relationship of listening and loving, and discarding idols and idolatry is going to get anywhere.  Doctrines and creeds won’t do it.  Years of loyal and costly service, although useful of course, won’t do it.  If we can talk about God wanting things, then perhaps God wants simply my loving “yes”, my heartfelt unequivocal consent.  Perhaps faith has very little to do with making the world safe for me, or keeping me and my loved ones away from trouble or pain.  Perhaps it is rather all about gratitude and love, and doing what I can, if and when I can, to set things the right way up for other people. 

In our practice of silence and stillness we learn serious reserve in God’s presence.  We learn to hold our tongues and open our hearts.  We are led to relinquish idols, while we remember that it is Jesus who is the icon of the invisible God, as St Paul puts it.  We learn to love and accept mystery, as our worldly fears start to become less fearsome.

No comments:

Post a Comment