06 October 2017

Looking forward – 6 October 2017


Not that I have already obtained this or have already reached the goal; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Beloved, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but this one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the heavenly call of God in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 3:12-14)

Paul makes several statements here which are indicative of what we might call, perhaps a little provocatively, grown-up faith.  The first is his acknowledgement that he remains a work in progress – he has not obtained certainty, he says, he has not reached the goal.  I don’t know how old Paul was, but it could seem a little striking around here when someone in their senior years says, I am still finding out, maturing, exploring.  Paul does not say, I know what I believe[1]… that’s the way I am, I’m too old to change… that’s what I think and that’s what I’ll always think…  It is still for Paul a journey, a trail awinding.   Indeed, he may feel that there is less he can be sure about. Mystery increases and questions abound. 

Then he says, Christ Jesus has made me his own.   Paul has come to see that it’s really not so much my faith, my belief, my discipleship…  You have not chosen me, Jesus told his disciples[2], I have chosen you.  With mature faith has come a sense of being called, and held -- a sense that wherever the truth lies, it is certainly with Jesus, and it is down the path of surrendering, relinquishing, simplifying. 

Next he says he forgets what lies behind  Well of course he doesn’t.  We may forget some of the past, or distort it, but mostly it remains in our memory.  There are cogent reasons not to forget the past.  Good and careful historians should always have an honoured place in human society wherever people are willing to listen and learn.  But also, every family in every generation can do with someone who knows the story as accurately and honestly as possible, and can tell it with understanding and compassion.  The church’s story too… including its darker aspects in our lifetimes. 

What Paul seeks to leave behind, I think, is any legacy of bitterness, blame, or the need for revenge, or lying awake with unfinished business.  He emerges from the past certainly wounded, as many do one way or another, but not as any career victim.  Father Laurence Freeman puts this better than I can, when he writes that mature faith is about looking back and discerning patterns and resonances in life, which we could not see at the time.  We learn never to settle for just one level of meaning.  We know now that there are and always will be new ways of being, and we are not afraid of newness or change.  These are concomitants of grown-up faith, and they include prayer, especially the prayer of stillness and silence, our mature and grateful yes to God.



[1] Paul, or whoever wrote II Timothy 1:12 does say, I know WHOM I have believed… that is a different matter.
[2] John 13:18;  15:16, 19.

No comments:

Post a Comment