19 March 2021

Lent 5, 19.3.21 – Psalm 139: 23-24

 

O search me, God, and know my heart,

test me and know my thoughts.

See that I follow not the wrong path

and lead me in the path of life eternal.

This extraordinary Psalm ends on the most personal and moving note.  Search me, O God, know my heart… It is an echo of the very first words of the Psalm, as you may have noticed: Lord, you have searched me and known me The same Hebrew verb[1] sits at both ends of the Psalm.  It is translated “search”, but the word means literally to penetrate, or in today’s media jargon, to “get to the bottom of…”  Now at the end he says: O search me, God, and know my heart, test me and know my thoughts.

There are two things here, in this simple, four-line conclusion to the Psalm.  The first is just that, his eager openness to God.  It is the opposite of much religion, in which we learn to be cautious… God might not be pleased with us… God needs to be propitiated, persuaded…  Contemplative life and prayer by contrast teaches instead a mutual welcome and hospitality… abide in me and I in you, as Jesus put it.  But more than that… as Richard Rohr and other great teachers keep insisting, in the silence and stillness we are starting to glimpse a unity of all things… it is less and less a matter of God out there and us here, or dividing life into us and them, shielding ourselves with categories and labels.  The reality the contemplative comes to see, even far in the distance, is the unity in which the Creator is holding all things in love.  And so there is actually only one prayer in the universe – Jesus’s great prayer of love and unity.  And when we pray, however we are praying, we are joining this one prayer of love and healing: 

I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one.  As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me.  The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.[2] 

And the second thing is how the Psalmist sees life as a journey, a pilgrimage – at any rate, moving on, most decidedly not staying the same:  See that I follow not the wrong path, and lead me…  In Robert Frost’s words:

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

We are on the road less travelled.  Faith turns out to be, not so much finding the right things and believing them, as moving on, opening to change, growing up.*  It is the road less travelled because people look more for security and safety, understandably.  Change is the enemy.  And right there is one of our best paradoxes – as we read in another great Psalm[3]:  My safety comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth The ego recedes to its proper place in our lives – and indeed you can read Psalm 139 entirely as the song of someone no longer ego-driven, whose true self has come to rebirth – we are not living in fear.  We have valid, sometimes very urgent concerns, of course, and reasons for caution, but the faith depicted in this Psalm is our silently-breathed Yes to God, in life and in death.

 

Miles Coverdale (1535):

Trye me (o God) and seke the grounde of myne hert: proue me, & examen my thoughtes.  Loke well, yf there be eny waye of wickednesse in me, & lede me in the waye euerlastinge.

 

* It is not all “moving on”.  Abraham, the biblical archetype of faith, eventually reached a place to live.  Any pilgrim needs a turangawaewae, a “place to stand”, where some necessary things are decided.  The Psalmists recognise this, and it is reflected for instance in Psalm 112:7 – He shall not fear, his heart is firm, he trusts in the Lord.  (And in Psalms 57:7 and 108:1)  The KJV renders “firm” as “fixed”, and the NRSV as “steadfast”.  The Hebrew word kūn (כּוּן) denotes stable, enduring.  It is the still part of us approached in silence and trust – it is not any clinging to “what I always thought”, or any preconception or prejudice.

 



[1] חָקַר (chakar) = to search out

[2] John 17:20-23

[3] Psalm 121

No comments:

Post a Comment