22 September 2021

Don’t worry, be happy – 17 September 2021

 

Happy… says Basil Fawlty, oh yes, I remember that…  Sibyl had just intercepted Basil arranging a bet on Dragonfly in the 4.30 at Aintree.  That particular avenue of pleasure has been closed off, says Basil.  Happiness is a memory. 

It is hard to say what happiness is, except that we know when we’re not.  The United States Declaration of Independence of 1776 famously says that Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness are our unalienable rights[1].  These days the popular assumption would be that happiness is getting what I want – as though… what else could it be?... the satisfaction of my desires, my expectations of life, the attainment of my dream.  It is widely assumed… firstly that I am entitled to get what I want, and secondly that I will be happy if I do.  Happiness then is primarily about me. 

And at this point I am really puzzled to know what to say.  A scholar of the Christian scriptures would want to say that what we are calling happy, for the Hebrew and Christian writers is commonly called blessed[2].  That is, blessed by God.  But somehow popular religion has warped and twisted that idea out of recognition.  God has blessed me raises all manner of problems.  Who is this God who inscrutably  blesses some but not others?  If blessing is the reward of uprightness, then we can easily produce many good people who are singularly unblessed… and we can find some truly nasty characters who have all they want for their happiness.   Most of the world has realised, moreover, that religious faith is no guarantee whatever of happiness.  Can an atheist never be happy?  Many Christian believers seem to be happy because it is expected… I’m so happy, here’s the reason why / Jesus took my burdens all away… we used to sing.  But we began to suspect before leaving adolescence that Jesus does not take all our burdens all away.

Joy is another biblical word.  The Greek chara (χαρά), joy, is the second in Paul’s list of the fruits of the Spirit[3].  Chara however is not the ecstatic leaping and jumping which seems now to be obligatory in the event of a triumph in sport, or in the stranger regions of religious charismania.  Paul sees joy as a fruit of the Spirit.  Joy is given to us, even at times in the midst of suffering – the joy that seekest me through pain[4].  It does not depend on everything having gone right, or as we might have wanted.   But around this point I run short on wisdom.  Happiness certainly depends on how I am feeling.  But if you have encountered joy… that sense of gift and wonder, the freedom of having been able to set self aside, the presence of God in our anxiety or dismay… joy awaits us in the silence and stillness, as a peaceful, gentle assurance, and a lovely surprise.  Paul knew it, and he listed joy right there in that initial trio of gifts of the Spirit: Love… Joy… Peace  Joy, bracketed by love and peace.



[1] The Declaration says… all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.  “All men” means not only the American people, but all men and women of whatever race, colour or creed. 

[2] In Hebrew, barak (בּרךְ ).  Barack Obama’s parents named him blessed.  In Greek makarios (μακάριος), as in the Beatitudes (Matthew 5:3-12).

[3] Galatians 5:22

[4] Hymn by George Matheson: O Love that wilt not let me go.

No comments:

Post a Comment