16 September 2016

Balm in Gilead – 16 September 2016


The readings for next Sunday include this passage from Jeremiah.  The prophet is sunk in inconsolable grief at the state of religion and the people.  I was tempted, as I’m sure others were, to consign this to the Too Hard basket… but then my attention was caught by its raw reality and poetry…

My joy is gone, grief is upon me, my heart is sick. Hark, the cry of my poor people from far and wide in the land: “Is the Lord not in Zion? Is her King not there? The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and we are not saved.” For the hurt of my poor people I am hurt, I mourn, and dismay has taken hold of me. Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why then has the health of my poor people not been restored? O that my head were a spring of water, and my eyes a fountain of tears, so that I might weep day and night for the slain of my poor people! [Jeremiah 8:18ff]

You might say that there are two broad ways of living a faith, in our case Christian faith.  They differ from each other, and yet in some ways you can have bits of each.  The most popular attitude, at any rate in western Christianity, is that it is mainly about me.  Although I know I am to love God and my neighbour, and quite often do, my faith, my satisfaction and my happiness are not negotiable and are the test, my security and assurance, my church and its fellowship, my growth and development…  This overall prior assumption with all its variations is scarcely questioned, and it can be formed to merge peaceably at least with the now dominant secular culture and people who probably want nothing to do with religion.  Faith is for me, obviously, and so plenty of people now say, “I have no need of it.  I can take better care of myself, myself.”

The other way is the road less travelled… in which…  I am not the centre of life and faith.  That self is finding itself displaced (replaced…?).  In prayer and quiet discipline I am attending to what Jesus taught and presides over even now – a life which is challenging my securities and boundaries.  Jesus asked, Why do you call me Lord, yet don’t do the things that I say?  The balm in Gilead, we discover, is not a soothing balm, it is a healing, re-creating balm.  It is not about how I am feeling, but about who I am becoming, in Christ.  This way of faith is by its nature open and vulnerable, it sees no need of fences or walls.  It has been called in history the Via Negativa, because God whom we love and worship is best described by what God is not – God is not what we think.  What we have is mystery, holiness, justice and love, with the veil somewhat lifted for us by Jesus.  So we are not loud, and we do not imagine we are saving the world.  We live by the Spirit, as one of the great biblical images puts it – the wind of God.  The Spirit, taught Fr John Main, is Jesus living in us, and among us, and joining in our prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment