11 June 2021

Paying attention - 11 June 2021

 

Father Laurence Freeman in Sources of Wisdom quotes William James, psychologist and philosopher, who said, ‘Reality is where you place your attention. Attention matters, writes Fr Laurence.   The loss of our capacity to pay attention  (our distracted culture, the fact that we spend an average of three or four hours on our mobile devices every day, young people are spending at a very vulnerable age, hours, hours and hours on their social media) this is a fragmentation of our fundamental capacity which is attention: to be able to listen, to be able to observe, to be able to engage, to feel empathy, to see the wonder of the world in which we live and the relationships in which we are connected.  Attention is the essence of prayer.

I think it is what Jesus called being awake.  Not being asleep, as it were.  I am particularly struck by William James’ statement, Reality is where you place your attention.  It reminds me of the old conundrum in Stage 1 Philosophy… Is there any sound on a desert island if there is nothing there to hear it?  There is no one paying attention.  Is there any sermon if no one’s actually listening?  If I am sitting there but my thoughts are on what I’m doing this afternoon, or what I said to someone, or in Jesus’ words, what will I eat, what will I drink, what will I wear?... then that, according to William James, is my reality.  Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also, said Jesus[1].  If my life is devoted mainly to myself, or to my whanau or tribe or sport… perhaps to my panicky fear that I might be bored, needing always to be entertained… then that is my reality.  I am attending to myself, to what I need or enjoy.  At a funeral I attended, a friend of the deceased got up and said in effect and at length… we did all these dubious things, but we had a ball.  Their reality was themselves… a sad, fragile, pointless reality.  “Me time”, it’s come to be called.

Attention, says Fr Laurence, is the essence of prayer... and reality is where we place our attention.  It is the point of the mantra.  We constantly slide off into thoughts about all manner of things… of course we do, we have fertile minds, well-stocked brains, and plenty of thoughts…  The best teaching I know says that it’s the return that matters, the unflustered, inner decision, without guilt or exasperation or rancour, simply to go back to the mantra.  This return says two things:  Firstly, as St Paul put it, we don’t know how to pray as we ought… and whatever is the “right” way, we are finding out that it is not via our agenda or our thoughts or our interests or our fears or our emotions; and secondly, that prayer is the Spirit praying in us, as we are still and silent, waiting, and gently but definitely paying attention.  As Paul puts it in the astonishing chapter 8 of Romans:  The Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words[2].  And God, who searches the heart, knows what is the mind of the Spirit[3]



[1] Matthew 6:31; 21

[2] στεναγμοῖς ἀλαλήτοις – “with sighs not able to be spoken”. 

[3] Romans 8:26-27

No comments:

Post a Comment